If there’s ONE thing that has captured the hearts and minds of mobile marketers over the past 16 years (since we set up!) it has to be mobile vouchering.
The ability to ‘close the loop’ and drive people into a pub, event or retail outlet has often been seen as a ‘simple bullet for years.
We can do mobile vouchering in a number of ways but unfortunately there is no one-size-fits-all way of redeeming mobile vouchers.
It really depends on the retailer, website, publican or outlet that is redeeming the voucher.
Basically every retailer, shop or bar will have its own way of doing it (although, embryonic Apple Pay and Android Pay points to potentially a new unified way of doing things).
There’s a couple of ways we have implemented mobile vouchering for brands and agencies:
- Build an app for consumers. Deliver vouchers to the app and then at the point of purchase the retailer or publican types a unique code into the consumers app ( in front of them) to redeem the voucher. This requires retailer buy in, POS support and more budget.
- Build a different type app for consumers. Deliver vouchers to the app and then at the point of purchase the retailer unlocks a code or image from the app and rewards the consumer based on the image or better still types a unique code from that image into their POS or app ( a la Hailo) to redeem the gift or reward. This as you can appreciate requires retailer buy in, POS support and budget. Most large retailers have their own proprietary POS systems to integrate into and some have out of the box customer marketing support to enable brand promotions.
- Send an SMS to consumers’ phones and the retailer uses the consumers phone to text back that code, validate the voucher and reward the user. Equally the retailer can enter the code into their POS or iPad to validate the code and ‘clip the ticket’.
- Install campaign software onto the retailers’ point of sale systems or better still, do what Deliveroo and Just Eat have done – give the retailer an inexpensive Android Tablet with an app on it to make it easy for everyone (and secure buy in and point of sale visibility).
- Wait for a cross platform solution to come along (2022 or sooner we reckon!).